Friday 3 June 2011

red, RED or rouge

It's Friday yo, and you know what that means - it's time for me to dust off the old wand and invisibility cloak and start up my weekly Harry Potter marathon once again. But before I lose myself in magical wonderment I thought I might just have a bit of a gab about one of my favourite things in the entire world (after raspberry licorice of course) - LIPSTICK!

Now because winter seems to have come around early this year - just like a nosey aunty who just knows (nose?) that you have left the vacuuming until the last minute before her visit - and as such I believe it is in fact minus a bazillion degrees today (celsius that is, it would be minus a squadrillion fahrenheit). Therefore what better time than turn your lips a delectable shade of rouge in order to heat things up a bit. Being a long time lover of a bright lip (perhaps because I am quite the lazy daisy when it comes to doing extravagant eye make up, or perhaps just because it is mega-fun!) I have quite a collection going on at the moment and I thought I might just share with you three of my favourite reds. Hoorah and here we go...

No.1 (the red): Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Soft Rose ($23.95)

Which looks a little something like this:


know, I know, it isn't exactly red as in 'fire engine' but it is a lovely darker-than-pink but lighter-than-full-on-red colour which is excellent if you feel like doing a red that's not too-red (if that makes any sense at all). It's also a really low-maintenance lipstick which is lovely and smooth when it goes on and doesn't dry lips out at all - excellent all round I say. Now, rather embarrassingly, here it is on some lips which may or may not be mine (but most probably are):



No.2 (the RED): Maybelline New York Moisture Extreme Lip Colour in Royal Red ($14.95)

As seen here in my garden, where it often hangs out:


Now this is a red. And if I'm honest, I probably only wear this when I'm feeling particularly adventurous as it is a colour that kind of smacks you in the face a bit. When I do pluck up the confidence to swipe it on I make sure I go really light the eye make up, otherwise I feel I may stray into clown face territory, which wouldn't be ideal. Whilst not as creamy and smooth a texture as the Revlon lipstick, the price point is very reasonable and the lipstick comes in so many colours, it really is a bit of a champion. Oh yes, and here's me again, looking quite the fool as per usual:



No.3 (the rouge): Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte in #17 ($55.00)

Looking very sexy here:


Amazing. Enough said? No this really is a wonderful lipstick, to the untrained eye it looks very similar to the colour of the Maybelline specimen but it's just so creamy, smooth, rich, silky, other adjectives pertaining to wonderfulness, and it smells amazing - like berries or violets or something equally as delightful, it really is a dream. I bought this little beauty in Paris last year and so it's kind of become my 'very special occasion' lippie, it is a bit on the pricey side but it's so luxurious it's well worth the cashola. I'm sure you're quite sick of my ugly mug by now, but here I am once again and all YSL-ed up:


Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment